[Scarlet] Sunless Citadel (Chapter Two)

Comments

• Open Lock (+dex)
    #DiceRoller( 2d8+2 )
  • edited June 2014
    "I know. I'd like to think of a way to 'draw the wasps to the honey' as Master Pei-wu calls it. I wonder if we could set up a trap of our own, bottle-neck a bunch of goblins in a narrow hall and...snap."
  • The lock pops open, Ba, and the door opens with a creak.

Squalor reigns in this long, low dungeon. Three small, dog-faces humanoids (Kobolds) are roughly tied with crude ropes to a large spike near the entrance. Farther back, a battered halfling languishes inside a rusted iron cage, which is small even for his frame. Several sets of corroded manacles are connected to the walls, which remain empty except for the occasional crumbling skeleton.

To the north, you hear goblins whispering, sounds of cautious movement. They're going to move up on you soon, urgency giving them courage.
  • Updated Map:
  • edited June 2014
    I look in and see that the children aren't there.
    "No exit," I whisper. "I don't want to get trapped in here."

Then in a louder whisper I say "Hey halfling, we'll be back after we finish the Goblins."

I want to go to the low wall and see if there's anything I can do to make the situation more advantageous to us. I'm looking for anyhting to barricade part of the room, or even just make floor hard to navigate as they come out of the doorway(s).
  • The Halfling perks up when you come in and say something in Common. He calls to both of you in a whisper back, "No... please. Don't leave me. Let me join you."

This is picked up by the Kobolds, who look at you, Ba, "Meepo's friend is oursss. Humie, cut the rope, we fight with you, kill the gobbies!"

Laughing Crane:
    There are a ton of caltrops a couple rooms back in room 31.
    Lots of javelins here in this room (it was their "practice range")

If you want to rig up some defenses, I think that's a skill check against an average difficulty of 9 (use Wisdom?).
  • "Ba, cut them loose. Give them some water and a bite if they want. I'm going to get something to even the odds. I hope."

I rush back to room 31 and get as many caltrops as I can, quickly.
  • "Versed in the Classics" trait to help plan defenses?
  • The Kobolds jump up, and of course, have no weapons, so they grab up some javelins from the ground in the nearby room. They look like they're going to fight at your side, but one does say, "Should get our tribe for helping."

Unfortunately, freeing the caged Halfling requires either a Strength check to bend the bars (diff 11) or a successful Open Lock check (diff 9).

Laughing Crane, your "Versed" works fine here. Add it in.
  • Setting defenses.
    #DiceRoller( 2d8+2 )
  • With a success like that, Laughing Crane, I'll give you a choice. Would you like to add +2 to the AC of your party, or add 1d6 to your Fray die?
  • [Let's say a +2 to AC. All those caltrops, plus I was able to wedge a couple of javelins into the wall in such a way that they are obstacles.]
  • I quickly cut the rope binding the kobolds and set to work on the lock to free the Halfling.

"Don't worry, little friend. We'll set you free and you will see the sun rise again."
  • Open Lock (+dex)
    #DiceRoller( 2d8+2 )
  • The rusty lock is resisting my attempt. I start to panic a little.

"It'll take just a minute..." but it's not coming undone. I smash at the lock with my iron spike a couple of times to no avail. Then, in ultimate frustration, I try to push on a set of bars with my legs and pull with my hands on the adjacent set of bars. It is clear that I cannot get this cage opened.

Finally in defeat I whisper, "Sorry friend."I hand him my wine sack and a pack of rations. "This prison is too much. Let us defeat the goblins and then we can work to cut you free. Until then you will be safe in here."
  • Ba,

The Halfling looks at the floor miserably. "There is a hobgoblin with a key. Female, braided hair, dark brown."

Laughing Crane,

As you finish setting up your barriers, you hear a throaty cry from the chamber to the northwest. Goblins let out some war whoops, and you hear them banging weapons against the stone floors and walls. The Kobolds growl and bark in response, pitiful javelins in their paws.

The goblins are coming.

In moments, the doors to the west and north both open up, and goblins come streaming out towards you, trying to clamber over the half wall, slavering mouths and short swords and hatchets ready to kill. There are ten of them, and it appears more to follow.

Describe your reaction and take your first attacks.
  • I tried to set up the defenses such that there's one easy place to cross the half wall. I am concentrating my attacks there. For once in recent memory I don't even think about what stance, technique, or form I'm using. I am simply fights instinctually, trusting that my training will pay off.
  • Attack
    #DiceRoller( 1d20+9 )

dmg if needed
    #DiceRoller( 1d8 )

Fray
    #DiceRoller( 1d8 )
  • edited June 2014
    My first attacks are flawless. If they hadn't been wearing armor there would be 4 dead goblins instead of 2. The first one went down with a slice across his gut, the second got a smashed face from my buckler, but his shabby helmet deflected my swipe at his head. Rolling my attack off of him I hit a squatty goblin across his protruding belly. My blow was deflected by some kind of metal plate (a cauldron lid?). Then I spin and leap and kick one squarely in the head. I hear a clear crack as its neck twists and breaks.

[That's 2 dead, two near misses. I thought the nat 20 justified a bit of narrative embellishment even if the damage dice cheated me. :-D ]
  • Attack (attack bonus+str bonus+ac):
    #DiceRoller( 1d20+9 )

Fray Dice:
    #DiceRoller( 1d6 )

Damage:
    #DiceRoller( 1d8+2 )
  • I take a stand next to Laughing Crane at the halfwall as the horde of goblins charge into the room.

"May the Three Beauties watch over us," I mutter as a prayer.

I dodge a spear thrust. With my longer reach I return the jab. My sword meets his face and slices into the soft green flesh. The goblins behind him push him further onto my sword. He drops his spear and attempts to push off the wall with flailing hands.I twist and pull back my blade. I could not see what befell that goblin. Several others were already taking his place attempting to breach our defenses and scramble over the wall.
  • Ba Jiao, why don't you roll a Fray die for the Kobolds fighting with you? Call it a 1d6.

There are seven left from your first attack. Two engage the Kobolds

Goblins vs. Kobolds (as Fray die)
    #DiceRoller( 1d6 )

Two goblins come barreling over the half-wall at you, Ba Jiao

Goblin 1 attack (vs. Ba's AC 5 -2 for caltrops +1 for attack bonus):
    #DiceRoller( 1d20+4 )

Goblin 2 attack (vs. Ba's AC 5 -2 for caltrops +1 for attack bonus):
    #DiceRoller( 1d20+4 )

Three more engage you, Laughing Crane, one moving to the side opposite your shield.

Goblin 3 attack (vs. LC's AC 5 -2 for caltrops +1 for attack bonus):
    #DiceRoller( 1d20+4 )

Goblin 4 attack (vs. LC's AC 5 -2 for caltrops +1 for attack bonus):
    #DiceRoller( 1d20+4 )

Goblin 5 attack (vs. LC's AC 6 w/o shield -2 for caltrops +1 for attack bonus):
    #DiceRoller( 1d20+4 )
  • One kobold falls to a Goblins jagged dagger.

The goblins attack, surrounding you. They nick you a couple times, but you dance away. Swords and Javelins bounce off Laughing Crane's shield or are deflected by your swords. None of them deal any serious damage.

Amazing.

Go ahead and make your attacks. There are a pair of Hobgoblins moving up to fire arrows at you this round (and yes, they may hit goblins).
  • True to my style name, I begin laughing.
    "Master Ba! This is what I was made for, hahaha!"

Attack
    #DiceRoller( 1d20+9 )

dmg if needed
    #DiceRoller( 1d8 )

Fray
    #DiceRoller( 1d8 )
  • I get a little careless and a goblin nearly yanks my sword out of my hand while another gets a grip on my buckler.

"Oh no you don't!"

With my superior strengths, I bring my sword and buckler together, taking out both of the goblins clinging to me.
  • Attack (attack bonus+str bonus+ac):
    #DiceRoller( 1d20+9 )

Fray Dice:
    #DiceRoller( 1d6 )

Damage:
    #DiceRoller( 1d8+2 )

Kobold Fray Dice:
    #DiceRoller( 1d6 )
  • The kobolds scamper over the walls behind us. They are surprisingly vicious as they follow Laughing Crane's maniacal war cry. They manage to swarm a couple of goblin's that turned their attention to Human targets.

I jump up onto the wall and slash at the goblin in front of me. I then leap at the remaining two goblins. My sword strikes with a thud on the goblin's rusty helmet. His neck snaps and his eyes roll back in his head. A split second later he drops to the ground. I drop to a low stance and sweep the other goblin's legs and follow through with a sword ripping in between his ribs, leaving him gasping for breath.

(I imagine the two hobgoblins are too far away for damage splash and too high of HD for fray)
  • The hobgoblins, one to the north, the other to the west, fire off their short bows, then retreat.

North Hobgoblin 1 attack (vs. Ba's AC 5 -2 for caltrops +2 for attack bonus):
    #DiceRoller( 1d20+5 )

West Hobgoblin 2 attack (vs. LC's AC 5 -2 for caltrops +2 for attack bonus):
    #DiceRoller( 1d20+5 )

(OOC: I really love the descriptions of the fight, guys!)
  • Ba, a red feather-fletched arrow sails over your head right as you stab that last goblin in the ribs.

Laughing Crane, you catch an arrow in your shoulder, from the hobgoblin to the west, right above your shield.
    Damage to Laughing Crane:
    #DiceRoller( 1d6 )
  • (OOC: That's 1 hit point damage to you, LC)