[MH] Into the Veil [Te S2:4.5]

edited November 2014 in In-Game
Teddy,

I suppose even though you're pushing you can't quite place the moment of transition between the hospital hallways and the deep wood of the veil, but there it is, all the same. It is only a short time on the path between tall primordial trees and thinking about her (or are you calling?) that she comes. She steps out from between some trees to your left, her large liquid eyes following your progress toward her, her tall slender body in a pose of unconscious fluid elegance. Her face lit up by a warm, but not untroubled smile. You realize she can't have been far from you.

She bows her head for a moment when you draw close. "Hello, my love."

Comments

• Yeah, I uh, kind of thought she would be. I always lose track of her so easily, and she's always right there when I need her ... I was guessing she was, you know, here. I was kind of looking for her, coming here, though also I just - I mean, I can't see my mom right now. Can't do that.

My love? That's - I don't know.

"Hi, um ... hi. Myrii. Can I - are you doing okay?"
  • Myrii looks up and cocks her head, a smile still playing about her lips

"Modern human expressions." She muses, shaking her head slightly. "But I believe I understand the question." She pauses, her golden eyes glittering. "I am very well... now. " She reaches and pulls you against her, unless you resist. She lets out a sigh. "Today has been something of a struggle, being away from you for so long. But touching you again makes it... irrelevant."
  • "Good, okay ..."

I'm lacing my fingers with hers, and just leaning into her a little, kind of calming down and taking a few deep breaths. I didn't realize how tense I'd gotten, you know? All knotted up in my shoulders and everything.

"Can we, um ... how do we get home from here?"
  • "The veil is in your blood. Assuming its mood isn't contrary, just trust it." Myrii says.

It isn't long before you emerge near the apartment out of the small woods that boarder one side of the lot. I'm assuming you're headed inside? Myrii has been quiet up to now. She's following you inside. "Your lover will be well?" She asks suddenly, while waiting for you to unlock the door.
  • Sure, I'm going up the stairs to the landing - my keys are clinking as I fiddle with them for the door key, still shaking off the dream of the deep wood.

"Ashley? I ... don't know. She wasn't hurt that bad, I mean, and she'll heal okay, but -"

I hesitate and glance up the stairs, and the pause kind of draws out because I'm opening the apartment and leading her inside. Locking the door and putting up the chain. After a moment, I do explain, just kind of generally, that Ashley is a granddaughter of the Queen - that she, Holly, Aubrey, and I guess the others or whatever are all the same, all from that blood. That I'm not sure what that means for her, or for them.

"... Myrii? All that, with the King and the Queen, it wasn't like ... that long ago, was it? I mean, not to you: you were around then, right? I guess it was like, I don't know, in the sixties or something? I don't even know, but - what was it like? What happened? And aren't they both, you know, King and Queen? Why do you follow him, and not her?"
  • Myrii went in in front of you and turns back to answer, her face having gone more somber.

"I do not follow him. I obey him. I obeyed both as best I could, before the queen was imprisoned. We obey them because they are the seeds that make us what we are... they are a fundamental part of our being. All faeries begin at least partially mortal. I was mortal once, myself. Either you are given a fairy heart by the king or queen as I was, and Nyx too, and must choose to embrace it and give up your mortal one, or you are born with a fairy heart, being the child of a powerful fairy and a mortal, and must choose between them. Two fairies, when they love, they do not mate, they..." she searches, "they merge... eventually becoming one being. The king and queen... they are the oldest and have been through many mergings to be as powerful as they are." She looks ill at ease, explaining this to you.

She perches on the edge of the sofa. She shakes her head. "The trouble was quite long ago by your standards. The Queen may have called Ashley and the others her granddaughters, but I believe it is several generations, and the wishborn tend to live longer than most. I do not know all the details of what took place... only stories and rumor. There are some who say that the King wanted to merge, but the Queen wanted to keep herself as she was and it became a point of contention between them. And so, being equal in power, they duelled the only way available, through promises and deception."
  • I'm kind of stopping in the front room, pulling my boots out of the closet, getting down a heavier coat and a scarf, just fiddling with a few things for going out into the woods again.

It takes me a minute, but eventually I ask, "What would happen to - with - you if I, um, disobeyed the King. And helped the Queen?"
  • She's quiet a moment.

"It depends on how peevish he is." She says "I might not matter to him at all. Or he might be... unpleasant." She shakes her head. "It doesn't matter, our bond is paramount. I am with you, whatever you decide."
  • edited November 2014
    Sort of sitting, while she answers. Sitting on the couch there behind the coffee table, looking up at her as she says ... these things.

"... Is that ... okay? I mean ... you know what I mean. The bond. You shouldn't - you should be able to make your own choices. And what if I have to leave the island? Can you even follow? Or if I get sick, or ... what happens when, um. Like when I die? Shouldn't we do something about ..."
  • She moves and sits next to you in that graceful way that she has, slipping an arm about you and hugging you against her.

"I made my choice when I asked for and accepted your blood and the bond with it." She says. "Whether I knew the true consequences of that choice is irrelevant. It is the way of things. And when I am near you now it completes me in a way that... that I do not wish to deny."

She reaches with her hand to gently caress your cheek and jaw, she continues to gaze into your eyes with her large glittery ones.

"I can follow you anywhere, love. Indeed I have hardly been more than a few minutes away from you for some time now. My distress a few days ago was because you left suddenly and I was not prepared for how strong the bond had become. Mere sickness should not be a problem... but it is true that if you die then I shall as well. One cannot live with only half their soul. And if you were to perish I would not wish to remain. I can only hope that eventually you will accept a Fairy heart of your own...and then we can be as we ought.
  • "And we would be ... the same person? The same body and - and thoughts?"

I accept the hug - I return it - and spend another moment like that.

"You know I, um. I do love you, Myrii. Not like ... well, not like I do anyone else, but I do. You're so beautiful, so perfect, and you've done so much for me, ever since - ever since even before that time with Marsha. You've been there for me. And I feel so wrong about keeping you from being, um ... complete. Complete, you're so - you're the most amazing person, most amazing creature I ever met. You're the first girl I ever ... uh -"

Hesitate.

"I don't know, maybe I'm ready for a heart - a fairy heart. Maybe. Everything's been changing so fast, I feel like - how am I even doing this, like going into the Veil? But I don't know. I don't know if I'm ready to change, to be I guess you and me, it's - it's kind of scary. Not you! Just ... I don't understand what it means."

My belly's kind of butterflies. Because, you know: the idea of it? The idea sounds not too bad. Me and Myrii? What do I have to lose? And I've been kind of thinking that's what she was dancing around, so it's not really a surprise ... but I still haven't wrapped my head around it, not at all.

I'm rising: "Look, um. I need to get Marsha's knife. And I need to talk to the King. Will you ... well. Will you stay close?"
  • edited November 2014
    She flows into a standing position next to you.

"I shall. But Theodora..." She takes your arm looking down at you, pausing Your eyes are just at the impossibly delicate curves of her collarbones. "I want us to be one very much, but I cannot escape the knowing that this bond was an.... an accident. You must be sure. You must not choose this out of pity for my... difficulties. You must have no regrets. You must... you must want me. In your deepest heart." She places a long-fingered hand over your heart and pulls the one she took to rest on hers, keeping it covered with her hand.

"You must consider your mortal lover." She says quietly. "She has suffered significant loss and... there is no way to know how our feelings will change when we join. Even if we continue to care for her... she will lose you as you are."
  • I kind of look away a little bit: "Yeah ... yeah, I know ... big loss."

I'm going to look for the knife. It's not where I left it, though that takes a minute to be sure of. I'd just kind of thrown it aside, so I'm like searching my bedroom even though I know it's not there. I mean, that thing, there's no way it could just be right there and I'd just overlook it - it's got too much of a presence, you know? And then, I don't know, I'm freaking out a little, and every little worst case scenario is running through my head. Did Mom come home and find it, while we were at the hospital?

I mean, I know obviously, that's probably not true - it probably didn't get far. It had to have been that Winter or Holly moved it while I was focused on Ashley, and I'm kind of pissed at that, though it's kind of guilty-pissed because here I am trying to take that thing without them knowing about it, you know? Though this is different. Everyone else, like Holly, Ashley, Marsha ... everyone I've seen touch the damn thing just goes crazy, like flipping a fucking switch. I can handle it, though, so you know: I need to take care of it, right? Or it's just going to make more problems - I shouldn't've even taken my eyes off it.

But okay. It can't of gotten far. I'm looking for it. Probably ... in Holly's room, first. Mom's old study.
  • Before you get to far, Myrii grabs your shoulder roughly and turns you to face her. There's fire in her golden eyes now, anger.

"It is a big loss! It would be to me!" She cries. "To others who love you too, would it not? Do not demean us and the realities of our hearts by diminishing yourself! You are not unworthy! You are the linchpin for that woman's heart, when so much else has been taken from her."

There's a pause while you stare at each other. She lets you go, suddenly, turns away and take a couple of steps, as if to regain her composure. She's normally so serene, this agitation must be a little shocking.

"I"m sorry..." She says. "I... require water." She moves to the kitchen and the sink, turning on the tap and immersing her hands in it, otherwise remaining still.

Searching for the knife gives you space. As you said, it's not in your room. You find it nestled among Holly's dolls. How thorough did you have to get?
  • edited November 2014
    I guess not too thorough, if that's all. I'm not like emptying out her drawers or going through the closet or anything, um ... I don't know how neat she keeps her room, but probably pretty neat? So it's just, like, I look under the bed, under the pillows, and maybe I've just opened and closed a few drawers before I stop and move around her dolls. When you get down to it, it's really the most obvious place, and I probably should've checked there first.

( They're kind of creepy. The way she thinks she used to be one of them, it makes you see those beady, buttony eyes a little different. )

And I don't know, um. Shit. I don't have any more of a plan now, other than to go to the King. So I'm just standing here, turning the knife over and over and feeling its aura or whatever slither against my skin. Thinking. Listening to the water in the other room. I don't go back out there yet - I know she hates this thing. But after a few minutes, I raise my voice:

"I'm sorry. You're right. I just ... don't feel like I deserve any of that. Ashley ... and you. And Mom and Dad and - everyone else. Aubrey, Brad ... everyone's getting hurt lately, and it feels like - well, maybe it's not because of me, but I don't know what to do about it. Nobody's happy ... maybe Holly's happy, I don't know, but she's still - God - possessed by the Faery Queen, and I guess she's going to die, literally going to die along with Aubrey and - and Ashley and the rest of them if nothing's -"
  • I think I can Share My Pain, so I'll look that up ...

#DiceRoller( 2d6+3 )

On a 7-9, she gets +1 forward (advantage) toward helping me, hopefully insulating her a little if I get confrontational with the Faery King.

On a 10+, I also get +1 forward toward helping myself.

On a 6-, I get nothing. Nothing!

xp (3)
  • Myrii comes to the doorway. She's clearly wet her face and hair as portions of them are damp.

"Oh, my heart," She says gently. "Love is not deserved. It is a gift. We can only accept it with grace and honor it as well as we may. Take heart. We will find some solution to this difficulty. I will be with you."
  • I'm quickly lowering the knife:

"... I know. I mean, I know you'll -"

I'm too closed in like this, and I'm kind of moving out into the hall, reaching for ... like, reaching into my room, and pulling down a sweater from up on the dresser by the door. I'm hesitating for a moment, or really just taking a moment there, and then I fold the knife up in the sweater - a couple quick moves.

I turn to her, hug her one-armed while holding the knife back, away from her.

"I know you will. Okay, let's - let's do it ... I want to talk to Him."

I spend a String on her to pass into the Veil. (Not necessarily right this second, but: I move to change scene.)
  • End Scene