[Ashen Snow] Two Wolves Meet [Gr 6.6]

edited December 2012 in In-Game
Grekkor,

For record-keeping, which member of the Pryers (new or old) made contact with one of Wolf's pack to set this up?

So, you and a small retinue are outside the hold, near the spring. The area is full of petrified trees and warm earth. The smell of sulfur is faint, but noticeable. Wolf is walking up with two of his pack, Sable and Jin. They are wearing their ponchos, so it is impossible to know for sure if they're unarmed. What conditions did you set for this meeting regarding that?

Who is with you, by the way? Who came that you did NOT want here?

Anyway, Wolf is here, like he agreed. He doesn't look terribly happy right now, you get the sense he knows at least a little of what's happened.

What do you do?
«1

Comments

  • by the by, you tell me if Grekkor knows Bones was shot and is recovering, that Amiette healed her and G-String was responsible.
  • RusRus
    edited December 2012
  • Wolf returns the bow, wiping his face calm and giving you respect due. He meets your eyes when he rises from the bow, listens intently, considering. Then he says low for you to hear, but difficult to eavesdrop, "Sable told me a ganger named Chigger killed Crocs and his gang. Crocs is not part of my pack. Harridan sent them along against my recommendation as reinforcements. I believe he also intended to cause trouble in ShantyTown with them. I have no love for them. At all." The last bit he says with disapproval for the gang. Seems a little personal.

    He pauses for a second, looking at your crew, sizing them up. Then, "I gave my word to Harridan that I would wait three days for an answer. Some might say that killing Crocs and his gang is an answer. As long as me and mine are not crossed, I will abide by the letter of my agreement. In two days, Em... Bones will be coming with me and we will report to Harridan whatever answer your hardholder gives."

    Jin comes up to Wolf, putting a hand on his forearm and leaning into his ear to whisper something. He nods. Grekkor. I would like to attend your discussion. I would not represent Harridan, merely act as an interested party in my sister's hold. If my pack is not acceptable, I would defer to you to pick a member of my pack to attend. Except Mac, he's not available. Fair?"
  • edited December 2012
    Wolf seems surprised at the offer for The Baths and bows his head in gratitude. Sable, for her part, seems thrilled at the opportunity. "Grekkor, I am willing to undergo your ritual. For some reason, I see in you a kindred spirit." The warrior takes a couple steps to the side, then for some reason, starts walking in an arc around your group. His posture is relaxed, hands at his sides for the most part, he's just a person who doesn't sit still. He meets your gaze, "You know, I have heard about the wonders of the baths that you Pryers hold sacred. It is amusing that this coming battle is over the same thing you offer me freely but deny Harridan." While he says this is amusing, the delivery is that it is far from it. Not even Jin smirks at this.

    He frowns when you ask about Harridan. By now he has walked around a half circle, he's behind your group. The Pryers turn to face him, a couple looking back at Jin and Sable, not sure if this is some trick. Wolf answers, "I sold my services, Grekkor. It sounds mercenary because it is. I have traveled the length and breadth of the Nine Cities searching for my sister, gained a pack of warriors and friends, and to serve them, I have made bargains. I had my suspicions about Harridan's word, but I took his jingle and gave mine. That was enough for me and mine. Sometimes, it has to be."

    Wolf comes back around to his starting spot and stands again, "As for Harridan, he was a big man, a head or two taller than yourself. He spoke well, but he seemed disconnected. It was unnerving."
  • Wolf is unsure. He felt something was off, but what was off he didn't know.
  • Sable smiles and Jin snickers once when you ask about trusting Harridan. Wolf glances at them and they straighten up. He turns back to you, "Apologies, Grekkor. We know Harridan has lied to us, our newest pack member told us he is evil. He only told us that visiting the baths would cleanse him in a way no other place could. He also said that afterwards, there would be many more job opportunities if we stayed on. But we have no intention of doing that now. We will finish the job and break ties with Harridan."

    Wolf cocks his head and asks, "Tell me, Grekkor, about the Pryers. Are you their speaker, or their leader?"
  • RusRus
    edited December 2012
  • When you call them fools, Jin reaches into his poncho with a flash of anger, but Wolf says, "Easy, Jin. We came here in peace and we will hold to it." Jin stops, which is probably good since the Pryers had already brought their guns up. It would have been ugly.

    Wolf says slow and deliberate, "Grekkor, I admire your ideals. No lie. We have lived different lives, made different choices. Me and my pack, we are not fools. And if you ever disrespect me and mine again, we will have a problem."

    Your declaration angered Wolf, more for his pack than himself. He knew it was a bad deal, but his pack needed the jingle. Deep down, he's embarrassed that you called him out on something he wasn't happy to be involved with. Now he's struggling with having given his word to Emmy to defend this place and just taking her and leaving this all behind.
  • Wolf shakes his head once, then turns and heads back into the woods. Jin gives you a long look, confusion on his face, he just doesn't get you. Sable is last to leave. She hangs back a second, then says, "Wolf honors his word, so we won't break the peace here. But from me to you, you are a complete fucking asshole. Emmy may adore your gods and monsters, but I don't. When was the last time you went hungry? When was the last time someone threatened someone you loved? You judge us because we make mistakes and because we care about people? WE are the ones who keep the world alive. Not you and your bath cult." She turns and walks away in a huff.

    Wolf wishes Grekkor would stay the hell away from him and his pack, including his sister, Bones.
  • The Pryers walk with you. There is a palpable excitement as they realize they are headed to the fabled spring. The entire gang has already breathed legends into this new wonder.

    In answer to your question, Arizona says quick and sure, "Fools they be, your words were true. Their shame made them angry. You spoke words of truth. Jingle is not worth their honor..."

    Trivette cuts in, out of turn, "Even a fool ken hold a gun. An them fellers ken do that damn well. Ah think we jest pissed em off. He up an said is sister wuz parta tha hold and we jest crapped in is cornflakes,,. Whoze is sister anyhow?"

    The other Pryers don't answer. You feel Holder's desire to shoot Trivette for speaking up, but he doesn't. You all continue walking to the spring, you can already hear the faint trickling of the water, you can practically taste it on your lips.

    What do you do?
  • I found a decent image of how I see the woods leading to the spring. I imagine the path is recently cleared by Tar Pit and the Pryers.

    Path to the Spring
    image

    As you lead the Pryers along the path, Trivette skirts along through the woods, away from you, but obviously keeping watch. The man moves quick through the scraggly underbrush. One thing you notice is that there are tiny flecks of green along the way, something you haven't seen since... maybe never?

    You hear the sound of men working ahead of you, the sound of hammers, a saw, that kind of stuff. When you get closer, there are Pryers here along with folks from ShantyTown and the Element, all working together to build a small fortification to protect this. There are twelve folks here, just a couple aren't Pryers, so the forms are being held, but just barely.

    Then you see the spring, water bubbling up from the earth between brown wet stones, a true miracle in this bleak land. Its grown a bit wider since you were here. A patch of grass has grown up near the edge, like life cannot help but grow here. Nowhere near as thick as the grass near The Baths, but notable.
    image

    Winkle is the eldest here. He is talking with a man named Imam, who you recall saw you murder Frost so long ago. He doesn't meet your gaze. Imam, I mean.

    The mood is odd, full of hard work and sweat, but somehow less perfunctory or mechanical, more... hopeful? Perhaps hopeful. Or perhaps the idea of taking a long drink of fresh water from the spring is motivation enough. By the way, you see a weathered man named Greer do just that as you walk up. Is that a bad thing? Winkle hasn't flinched to see this, but this Greer, he isn't a Pryer.

    What do you do?
  • edited December 2012
    Winkle bows, "There are others about in the woods. Could be Ba's Kin, could be Harridan's, we've kept a tight perimeter and they're staying clear, but they're out there."

    Trivette waits until Winkle finishes speaking and adds, "Mah kin aint here, Graykor. Ah'd know it. Its summin else."

    What do you do?
  • edited December 2012
    Ok Grekkor, you take up a small gang of Pryers and patrol the woods outside the Spring. Within a hundred yards of the spring, signs of life die off quickly. The ground turns from the softer earth near the water with flecks of growth and life into the pale dead petrified forest. The place smells of ash and sulphur now. Several members of your party slip scarves over their faces, Pretzel slips on her ragged gas mask.

    The ground slides from black clay an dry dirt to a smooth black rock that looks like someone mixed up a bunch of coal into a frosting and poured it out onto the ground. Most of the trees are still here, limbless and fixed in the ground like charcoal birthday candles. The ground is so smooth it is almost slippery. Evidently one of the volcanoes on the ridge erupted during the heavy ashen snow the past couple weeks.

    There are bubble holes and pock marks in points along the ground in places. You realize the few that are not unlike cave mouths would be good places to hide for an ambush. Arizona gives you a look and grips his rifle firmly, he's looking out at the way. You aren't alone...
  • Holder and Trivette split off and work ahead. Holder acts as the scout, to flush anything out.

    As you continue to work through the forest, eyes alert and ready, you catch sight of dark eyes in those pock marked caves. The eyes are wild slits, on bodies covered in black ash. There are a number of them spread out, you see crude weapons among them. They are dressed in skins and tattered clothing. Their number is unkempt, hungry and savage.

    Hard to get a quick count, but they outnumber you two to one. Are these... the escaped snow slaves from the revolt in Mesovin? How were you involved with that? Would they know you?

    What do you do?
  • RusRus
    edited December 2012
  • edited December 2012
    You see him, Grekkor, he meets your gaze when so few of the others in the pitch black will. There is something substantial about him. He rises up from his hidey hole and holds his pipe-spear tip pointed towards you, watching you warily.

    What do you do?
  • Who's in control here?
    The coal-boy is in control, he has you outnumbered, if you weren't here, the Pryers would consider him an ill omen. But coal-boy is his own, you sense nothing moving him to action.
    Which enemy is most vulnerable to me?
    Again, coal-boy. The other are hidden, small targets, defensible positions.
    Enemy's true position?
    It is here, you're sure of it. While Harridan had no part in this, you have a feeling that Yurd might.
Sign In or Register to comment.