[OOG] Kublai Khan is dead

2»

Comments

• edited September 2007
    Nice one Simon! The deviation from the formula was ok for that post, I think, as it feels like the buildup to a climax.
  • Did I deviate? I tried not to! Yeah, I've been storing that one up for a while. I thought it would be a nice change of pace.
  • Sorry it took me so long on that one, I've been mostly avoiding the internet for the last few days.
  • No worries!
  • Awesome! Thanks for playing Simon. It was fun.
  • Yeah, that was great. Thanks for pitching it!
  • Just to let you know, I've posted Actual Play over at the Forge and Story Games.
  • I just got back from vacation. I'll weigh in over the next few days.
  • edited October 2007
  • That's interesting. I really enjoyed working within the restrictions, and breaking the mold would have felt really weird to me, kind of taking the wind out of the sails. I liked being able to rely on the structure, being able to throw something at Dave that would push him towards certain things because of the format of the reply. I also really enjoyed trying to fit as much information as possible into the limited number of sentances. I love some of the insane run-on sentances that it generates. I also liked keeping each post quite short. It made it a lot less work to play, and made the game (for me at least) much more about the interaction than about the language. I liked that the story came from the friction between our posts, rather than from the content of them.

I hear what you're saying about the pacing though. I think keeping a strict deadline is a difficult thing, and I hate feeling like I have to post, making it more like work than fun. On the other hand, pacing is an important part of the game. It was definitely a different feeling at the start of the game where we were flinging posts back and forth every half hour, to later where we'd leave a couple of days between posts. I couldn't say if one was better than the other, but it was definitely different. It's an interesting field to explore since it's pretty much unique to PBP.
  • I liked sticking within the restrictions as well. Trying to fit detail into the limited structure is part of the challenge and fun for me. I agree with Simon that the game changed feel, when the posts got more spaced out. I think I disconnected with it a little more near the end, but that may have also been a sign of it winding down naturally.